Vegan Chocolate Orange Mousse
This simple seven ingredient mousse is an easy vegan dessert idea. The Olive Oil, orange and chocolate create a light, smooth mousse that is bound to have people asking for seconds.
300g dark chocolate (most dark chocolate is vegan but check the ingredients beforehand), 70% cocoa solids, broken into pieces
Aquafaba (the liquid from 1 tin of chickpeas)
Zest of 2 oranges
120g caster sugar
50g toasted almonds, chopped
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring from time to time (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water). Once the chocolate has melted, add the Olive Oil and orange zest to the melted chocolate and mix to combine, then scrape this into a larger mixing bowl and leave to cool a little.
- Place the aquafaba in a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric whisk or stand mixer for 6-10 minutes, until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and keep whisking until soft peaks form.
- Begin to fold the whites into the chocolate mixture with a metal spoon, using about a third of the aquafaba mix to begin with, then incorporating the next batches, until there are no streaks left.
- Divide the mixture between ramekins, place on a tray and put in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours. If you are making them in advance, remove from the fridge a short while before serving to soften.
- To serve sprinkle on a little sea salt and then the almonds.