Spelt and Tahini Shortbread Cookies
A classic cookie with a twist. These Tahini shortbread cookies are delicious and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. They are buttery with a lovely melt in your mouth texture and easy to prepare.
*An email was sent to our mailing list on 22nd Jan 2022 which stated this recipe is gluten free, however please note this recipe contains gluten (spelt). Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
- 140g vegan margarine
- 100g icing sugar
- 240g tahini
- 250g plain spelt flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 45g toasted and cooled sesame seeds – a mix of both colours nice but not essential
- In a food processor or mixing bowl, combine the margarine, icing sugar and tahini, beating until well combined and smooth. Add the spelt flour and salt and mix again until you have a smooth dough.
- Transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge for 20 -40 minutes, or until firm enough to handle.
- Lay out a piece of cling film and place the dough on top. Shape into a log 1 inch thick and around 20cm wide. Place the sesame seeds on the cling film then roll the dough over it so the outside is covered. Wrap tightly with cling film then place in the fridge or freezer to chill for an hour or until hard enough to cut.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Slice the log into 1cm thick slices and place on a lined baking tray leaving 2 inches between each one.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until firm around the edges, but without any colour.
- Allow to cool completely before eating or storin