Roast Plum, Halloumi and Pickled Red Onion Salad
Prep 10 minutesCooking 5 minutes2 people
Lorna Robertson from Three Girls Cook made this salad as part of their Pomegranate Molasses three ways. This dish was demoed by Lorna on the Belazu stand at Thame Food Festival.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Half the plums and remove the stone. Cut each half into 3 equal sized pieces. Place in a baking dish and cover with the pomegranate molasses and 2 tbsp of the sugar. Roast for 10-15 minutes until soft and caramelized.
- For the pickled onions, peel the red onion and cut in half through the root. Slice fine slithers of the onion and place into a bowl. Do the same with the red chilli, cutting horizontally to create fine rings and add to the bowl. Cover with the vinegar and add the remaining soft brown sugar. Add a big pinch of sea salt and set aside.
- Add the hazelnuts to a cold, dry frying pan and place over a medium heat. You want to get a bit of colour on the nuts without burning them. Once toasted, remove from the pan and roughly chop.
- For the halloumi, slice the block lengthways to create long slices. Place the cheese into a dry frying pan and fry over a medium-high heat. Flip over once coloured on one side. Once browned on both sides, cut each piece in half.
- To assemble the salad, place a scattering of the rocket on the plate. Arrange the roasted plums on top, followed by the halloumi. Scatter the hazelnuts over the top, followed by a few pickled onions. Dress with a little more pomegranate molasses and some of the pickling liquor.