Olive Oil Crackers
We used Cornicabra Extra Virgin Olive Oil for these crackers as this oil has slightly more bite and a peppery flavour to it. An infused oil such as Lemon or Garlic oil would also be interesting flavour profiles to use. These crackers pair extremely well with our Pear Chutney and a strong mature cheddar cheese.
200g plain flour
80g oats, blitzed in a food processor (or fine oatmeal)
¼tsp baking powder
1 egg beaten, to wash (you can use a vegan milk alternative for the same effect)
- In a large bow,l combine the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients together and then slowly add to the dry ingredients, bringing together to form a dough.
- Knead the dough for one minute, then cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 170C/Fan 150C/Gas Mark 3.
- Cut the dough into two, then on a clean, floured surface, roll one piece of the dough out as thin as possible.
- Using a pizza cutter, or your chosen cutter, cut the dough into crackers. Place the prepared biscuits onto a baking tray with baking parchment. If you are using a circular cutter keep the scraps, roll out and cut again. Repeat with the remaining piece of dough.
- With a pastry brush, egg (or milk) wash all the biscuits, then place in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove and allow to cool. They will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.