Flat breads with aubergines, fennel, smoked tofu, Preserved Lemon and Rose Harissa Pesto Print
Some might argue that this is a pizza in all but name, but using the Rose Harissa Pesto as a base makes a big difference, its mellow heat and intense tomato flavour marking it apart from a typical tomato sauce. It makes a great base on which to pile soft aubergines and crispy fennel, which are topped with preserved lemon, that’s also quickly roasted, to provide an intense burst of citrus.
1 aubergine, sliced into 2 cm rounds
1 bulb fennel
5 tbsp Early Harvest olive oil
3tbsp Rose Harissa Pesto
1 portion of whole meal pizza dough, around 220g (these can be bought frozen) or a plain pizza base
1 Beldi Preserved lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
100g smoked tofu, cut or broken into small chunks
- Heat an oven to 185C and place a baking tray inside to heat up. Cut the fennel in half lengthways and then cut again into long, thin strips. Place the aubergines in a bowl and add 2 tbsp of olive oil and a few pinches of salt, then toss to coat. Remove the baking tray from the oven then spread the aubergines on one side. Repeat with the fennel but only adding 1 tbsp olive oil. Pour any remaining oil over the top. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, take the fennel from the tray, turn the aubergines over and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until golden and soft.
- Mix the Rose Harissa with the remaining olive oil and set aside.
- Turn the oven up to 220C and place a sturdy, flat baking tray inside. A roasting tray turned upside down will also work. Split the pizza dough into 2, then spread some semolina or plain flour on your worktop. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough and then roll out into a rough oblong shape about 2-3mm thick, turning to coat in flour so it doesn’t stick.
- Place both flat breads on a piece of baking paper. Take the tray from the oven and lift the paper on top, then return to the oven. Bake for around 2 minutes, or until the flat breads have puffed up into a balloon.
- Remove from the oven and, then spread the pesto mix on the base of each bread. Next place the aubergine and fennel on top, followed by the smoked tofu and preserved lemon. Place the tray back in the oven and bake for 3 -4 minutes. Take out and eat immediately.
Included in this Recipe
Early Harvest Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Single varietal, stone crushed, cold extracted, Extra Virgin Olive Oil made from the first Arbequina olives of the season.
Rose Harissa Pesto
Our award-winning Rose Harissa blended with sun-dried tomatoes and herbs to create a vegan pesto Storage Condition: Ambient, keep chilled once opened