Date Molasses, Ginger and Cinnamon Cookies
Full of festive flavours such as ginger, nutmeg and Date Molasses, these cookies have a beautiful look and a fantastic flavour to boot. They are a particularly tasty sweet treat to have alongside some Tahini Hot Chocolate.
280g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
170g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
50g granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling in
50g soft brown sugar
80g Date Molasses, plus a little more to stop each cookie
1 large egg, at room temperature
- Mix the flour, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg and salt together in a small bowl until combined.
- Use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or a large bowl and a hand-held electric whisk, to beat the butter and both sugars together on medium to speed until creamy and combined, about 2 minutes. Add the molasses and beat until combined. Then add the egg and continue to beat, scraping the sides of the bowl down as you go.
- On low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until the combine to form a dough. The dough will be sticky, so scrape into a ball, then cover and place in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up. It can be store like this for 2-3 days.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 175C fan / 190C nonfan. To cook all at the same time, line 2 baking trays with baking parchment or a silicon mat.
- Portion the dough so that they are roughly 1tbsp sized. Roll into balls then flatten between palms. Dip one side into sugar then place on paper on tray, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Dab with a small dot of date molasses on the top then bake for 12 – 14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes to allow to cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely, if you can wait that long!