Chermoula, coconut and chilli coleslaw
The crunchy texture of the cabbages works well with the fresh zesty citrus flavours of Chermoula and lemon juice. While coconut is not traditionally used with fresh chilli,it gives this classic summer side dish a fruity tropical flavour.
½ small red cabbage
½ small white cabbage
2 spring onions
2 ½tbsp Chermoula
5tbsp plain yoghurt
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced (if you do not have a lemon then add a little vinegar)
1tsp white wine vinegar
40g dried coconut flakes
1 green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped (try some of the chilli first to assess the heat and reduce if it is very hot, or hotter than you think you would like)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the cabbages in half so you have quarters. Remove the rough outer layers and also remove the core. Carefully slice each quarter as thinly as possible then place in a large bowl and use your hands to separate the layers.
- Grate the carrot using the coarse side of a grater and add to the cabbage, then season everything with salt and pepper and mix with your hands.
- Peel the papery outer layer of the spring onions off and thinly slice. Place in cold water to crisp up.
- To make the dressing, mix the Chermoula, mayonnaise, yoghurt, lemon juice and zest, and vinegar in a bowl and season with salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add the dressing to the cabbage mix and use tongs or a sturdy spoon to mix and combine so that nothing is left dry. Add in the coconut flakes and chilli and mix again, then place in a bowl.