Celeriac Steaks with Urfa Chilli Paste, Lentils and Savoy Cabbage
The centrepiece of this wintery plate of food is celeriac, cooked twice, first roasted which softens the flesh and concentrates the flavour, then pan fried, much like you do with a regular steak. Urfa Chilli Paste adds heat and depth to the sweet, buttery root vegetable and is mellowed by the oat-based crème fraiche, whilst earthy lentils and cabbage make ideal, easy accompaniments.
- Heat your oven to 180C fan / 200C non-fan. Clean the outside of the celeriac of any dirt then rub with a little olive oil and season with salt all over. Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 90 minutes. Check to see if it cooked by inserting a small sharp knife into the centre. If there is no resistance, then it is ready. If not, cook for another 15 minutes or until ready.
- Whilst the celeriac is roasting prepare the lentils and cabbage. Empty the lentils into a sieve and rinse with water to separate. Place in a saucepan, season with a little salt and pepper 4 tbsp olive oil and the zest of the lemon. Finely chop the parsley and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove the outer, thicker layers of the savoy cabbage and keep for shredding at another time. Cut the cabbage into wedges and set aside.
- When the celeriac is cooked and has allowed to cool a little, cut into circular, 3-4cm thick steaks. Before you start cooking the steaks, begin to warm up the lentils and cook the cabbage, by steaming in a steamer basket or in a wide pan with a shallow amount of water and a lid on for about 4-5 minutes.
- Place a large frying pan on a high heat and allow to heat up. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil then add the celeriac, season well with salt and pepper and sear on a high heat for around 2 – 3 minutes on each side. Once coloured on each side, add ½ tbsp Urfa chilli paste and swirl around the pan to colour the steaks. Once all the celeriac has been seared, put them to one side on a warm plate, then turn the heat down. Add the remaining Urfa chilli, the juice of the lemon and the tub of crème fraiche and stir to mix till combined.
- Add the parsley to lentils then divide between plates. Place the celeriac on top then the wedge of cabbage next to it and season with salt and a little oil. Spoon over the Urfa chilli and crème fraiche over the celeriac then serve.
Included in this Recipe
Early Harvest Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Single varietal, stone crushed, cold extracted, Extra Virgin Olive Oil made from the first Arbequina olives of the season.
Organic Jarred Lentils
Organic Spanish lentils cooked in soft water and simply seasoned with salt to liven up any salad, soups or stews.
Urfa Chilli Paste
Sweet and smoky Turkish spice paste with red peppers.