Black Tahini and Cinnamon Buns
These buns are a cross between a Cypriot tahini pie (tahinopita) and a cinnamon bun. Make them as big or as small as you want them, but we made them BIG. They have such unexpected textures, crispy, crunchy and soft all at the same time.
For the black tahini paste:
100g Black Tahini
175g caster sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp salt
For the dough:
7g instant yeast
550g white bread flour
150gr wholemeal bread flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the sesame topping:
100g black sesame seeds
100g honey (or agave or sugar syrup)
- Mix all the ingredients for the Black Tahini paste in a bowl. Place in the fridge overnight.
- To make the dough, in a bowl, mix the yeast with the warm water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast and water mixture. Using your hands, mix to bring together into a saggy mix. Kneed for a minute or so in the bowl to bring it all together to resemble a loose ball.
- In a fresh bowl, pour the Early Harvest Olive Oil to coat the sides, place the dough, cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, knock the dough back and divide it into 8 balls.
- Preheat your oven to 160C fan.
- Dust your worksurface with flour.
- One by one, roll each ball into a flat disc, as big as the palm of your hand
- Holding the disc in your palm, place 1 tbsp of the black tahini mix in the middle of it. Bringing the sides up, enclose the tahini and seal the edges. Using the worktop, flatten the ball again with the palm of your hand.
- Place another tbsp of the black tahini mix and repeat step 8. If the mix oozes out, don’t worry at all!
- Guide the dough into a long sausage shape, around 25cm long. Pat another tbsp of the black tahini mix all along the dough.
- Twist the dough using both hands in opposite directions. It should end up looking like a cheese straw!
- Then twist the swirl into a spiral, tucking the end underneath. Flatten with the palm of your hand and place onto a lined baking sheet
- Repeat steps 8-12 for all balls of dough.
- When you have rolled all 8 balls into buns, leave to prove for around 15 minutes or so, until they are slightly risen.
- Brush the buns with water, sprinkle with black sesame seeds and bake on 2 separate trays for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with the honey and pop back into the oven for 3-4 minutes.
- Take them out, leave to cool for 10 minutes or so and enjoy warm.