Beetroot panzanella salad with Pesto, Peppers and Mozzarella
Prep 15 minutesCooking 1 hour 30 minutes4 people
This earthy salad with a fresh zing of purple basil pesto and Buffalo Mozzarella is ideal for light lunches, starters, or as a side for a main course.
- Remove the leaves and stalks from the beetroots if they have any. If they are not too withered looking, place in a bowl and cover with cold water.
- Place the beetroots in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and cook for 60-90 minutes, or until the tip of a sharp knife can reach the centre of a beetroot. Drain into a colander and when cool enough to handle, peel the skin off. If it is resistant, try doing it under running cold water. Cut into small bite size pieces.
- While the beetroots are cooking, heat an oven to 170C/Fan 150c/Gas Mark 5. Remove the crusts from the bread and tear into big chunks. Place in a bowl or tray and season with 1 1/5tbsp Olive Oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, so the outside is golden and crisp.
- If you are using them, drain the beetroot stalks and remove the leaves. Dry the leaves, dress with Olive Oil and season with salt, then bake in a single layer for 10-15 minutes or until crisp.
- Drain the Piquillo Peppers but keep any juice to one side. Tear the Peppers in half and set aside.
- When ready to serve, dress the beetroots with the Purple Basil Pesto and Piquillo juice and allow to marinate for a few minutes. Next add the bread and mix so that the bread soaks up some of the Pesto. Now add in the Piquillo Peppers, Mozzarella and beetroot leaves. Mix everything together a few times then divide between plates or place in a serving bowl.