Aubergine and Za'ater Pizza with Tahini
Use pre-made Pizza dough to keep this recipe simple or crack out home-made if you prefer! The Tahini adds a needed richness to this pizza which skips out on the traditional cheese topping. Tossing your aubergine in salt and olive oil helps to drain some of the water from the veg, keeping them crisp and never soggy on top of your pizza. Prepare toppings in advance to save time and throw everything together when the pizzas are ready to hit the oven.
- 1 large or 2 small aubergines
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp cold water
- ½ tin good quality chopped tomatoes
- 2 balls pizza dough
- Plain flour to shape the bases
- 2 tbsp zahter, drained of oil, roughly chopped
- 2 pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Heat your oven to 180C fan / 200C non fan. Cut the aubergine into 1.5-2cm thick rounds, place in a bowl and toss with salt and the olive oil. Spread in a single layer on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, till soft in the middle and crisp on the edges.
- In a small bowl, combine the tahini and water and stir till smooth and well combined. It needs to be the consistency of single cream, so add a little more water if it looks a little thick.
- When ready to cook the pizza bases, set your oven on its highest setting. Dust your work surface with a generous amount of flour then use your hands to shape the dough into a circle around 20cm wide. You can use a rolling pin to make it easier if you wish. Shake off the excess flour then place the dough on a baking sheet. Spread a layer of tomato sauce over the base, leaving 2-3cm clear around the edge, then top with slices on aubergine. Repeat with the second base.
- Bake in the oven for 4-5 minutes, so that the edges have puffed up and turned golden and crisp, then remove. Dress both pizzas with the tahini dressing, then top with the chopped zahter and chilli flakes.