Steak, cauliflower and hazelnut salad with chicory, blood orange and Organic Balsamic Vinegar
This late winter salad aims to satisfy all the senses as it mixes the crunchy textures of raw cauliflower, chicory and hazelnuts with sweet yet tart blood oranges. The Organic Balsamic Vinegar has all the characteristic rich mouth feel but with a little more sharpness which makes it a classic match for the steak but also harmonises with the blood oranges strawberry like aroma.
1 head white chicory
2 blood oranges
50g roasted and chopped hazelnuts
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tsp Organic Balsamic Vinegar
4 tbsp Early Harvest Olive Oil
400g sirloin steak
1 small bunch of mint and flat leaf parsley, leaves removed from stalks
50g hazelnuts, roasted and chopped
- If you’re cooking the dish all in one go, remove the steaks from the fridge to allow it to come up to room temperature. Remove any tough or damaged leaves from the cauliflower then cut in half. Use a sharp knife to cut the cauliflower into thin horizontal slices, starting at the tip and working along to the bottom of the stem. Place in a bowl, season with 3 good pinches of salt and toss to coat.
- Cut the chicory in half and remove the corn and again, thinly slice horizontally and set aside. Peel the oranges using a paring knife, carefully cut out each segment with a small bowl underneath and set aside. Squeeze the pulp over a bowl to extract any juice. Add the vinegar and olive oil to the juice, along with a pinch of salt and mix well to combine.
- Place a frying pan on a high heat and season the steak generously with salt. When the pan is hot, hold the fatty edge of the steak down first to render some of the fat. Now lay the steak flesh side down and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Turn and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes. Depending on the thickness of the steak, it should now be rare, so if you prefer it to be cooked more, turn again and cook on the other side for another minute or 2 and repeat on the other side. Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Dab the cauliflower with kitchen paper to remove some of the moisture. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, chicory, blood oranges, hazelnuts and roughly chopped mint and parsley leaves. Season with a little salt and a generous amount of black pepper then add the dressing and mix well. Taste, then decide if it needs more salt.
- Divide the salad between plates then thinly slice the steak horizontally and lay on top.
Included in this Recipe
Early Harvest Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Single varietal, stone crushed, cold extracted, Extra Virgin Olive Oil made from the first Arbequina olives of the season.
Organic Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
Smooth, dense and viscous with a pronounced sweet flavour that fades elegantly into a pleasant acidity on the finish.