Sun Dried Balsamic Tomato Paste and Chorizo Dip with Pitas
The sharp creaminess of Crème fraîche is complemented by the rich and intense flavour of the chorizo and Sun-Dried Balsamic Tomato Paste. With an easy pita recipe to go alongside, this is a sharing dip that makes a great addition to a mezze spread.
For the Pita Breads:
250g strong white flour, plus more for dusting
7g Instant dried yeast
160ml cold water
For the Dip:
400ml Crème fraiche
2 red onions peeled and chopped into 1cm slices
2 chillies, halved and deseeded
2 chorizo sausages, cut in half, then cut into moons
1 Lemon for zesting
- To make the pitas, combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and add the water. Using your hands bring the flour into the water slowly, until everything is combined.
- On a clean worksurface, knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Place in a bowl, cover and leave somewhere warm to prove until it has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile begin to cook the dip. Heat an oven to 160C. Place a frying pan on a high heat and when very hot add the onions and chillies (you may need to do this in two batches) to the pan to blacken. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side before turning over and repeating on the other side. Place the blackened chillies and onions on a roasting tray and cook for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the oven. When cool, separate the rings of the onions out and season with salt. Then roughly chop the chillies.
- Using the same frying pan on a low-med heat, when hot add the chorizo and cook for ten minutes stirring occasionally until the chorizo releases its oil and begins to crisp, set aside until needed.
- To cook the pitas place the oven on 240C and put a sturdy baking tray in to heat up. Divide the dough into eight pieces and on a clean, floured work surface press each piece of dough into 3-5mm thick oval shapes using a flat hand. In two batches place the dough directly onto the hot tray and cook for 4-5mins.
- To assemble the dip, put the crème fraiche in a wide flat based bowl or plate. Then spoon the Balsamic Tomato Paste over and use a spoon to roughly mix through. Spoon the chorizo and all the oil over the top and scatter with red onions and chillies. Finely zest the lemon over the top. Serve with warm pitas.