Socca Pancakes with Mushrooms, Potatoes, Crème Fraiche and Zhoug and Apple Chutney
- 150g of chickpea flour
- 5g salt
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 300g warm water
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more a little more for frying
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- 3 potatoes
- 250g portobello mushrooms
- 200g oysters, bake till crisp, salt and oil, might need separate trays
- 200g spinach, gently wilted
- 6 tbsp crème fraiche (vegan or regular)
- ½ jar zhoug
- 1 sharp green apple, like granny smith
- ½ lemon
- Preheat your oven to 220C/ 220c fan.
- To make the pancake batter, combine the chickpea flour, salt, 2 tbsp olive oil and warm water and whisk until smooth.Set the batter aside to rest for 30 minutes, whilst you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Wash the potatoes but leave the skin on, cutting them into 2 cm cubes. Place the diced potatoes into a bowl and season with salt, pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil and spread on a baking tray.
- Thickly slice the portobello mushrooms. If the oyster mushrooms are particularly large, cut them into small strips, otherwise leave them whole. Add mushrooms to a bowl and season with salt, pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil then spread in a single layer on a shallow baking tray. Place both trays in the oven and roast for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms have begun to crisp around the edges and until the potatoes are golden in colour and soft in the middle.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking, coarsely grate an apple. Place in a bowl and add the zhoug, 2 tbsp olive oil, a good squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of salt and stir to combine.
- Place a frying pan on high heat and when hot, add a little olive oil to cover. Add a quarter of the batter and swirl the pan to spread the batter aroun. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until it bubbles and takes on colour, then flip with a spatula and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn the heat down if the pancakes begin to colour too quickly.
- Keep on a plate in a low oven to keep warm whilst you cook the rest.. Quickly wilt the spinach with a little oil in the frying pan and season with a little salt.
- To serve, divide the pancakes between plates, top with spinach and then a mix of potatoes and mushrooms. Add a spoonful of vegan crème fraiche on top, followed by a generous drizzle of the zhoug chutney.
Included in this Recipe
Fresh coriander and hand-picked parsley, blended with other traditional Mediterranean ingredients, including our Beldi preserved lemons, for a warm, intense flavour with a hint of citrus.
Tiny jelly-enclosed spheres of Balsamic vinegar that explode with flavour when you bite into them.
1.34 Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
Sticky, sweet, beloved by Michelin star chefs, and a winner of 3 Great Taste stars
Black Olive Paste
Black Douce olives crushed with oil Storage condition: chilled
Our nutty high fibre couscous that has been awarded a Great Taste star in 2012.
White Condimento of Modena
Grape must and white wine vinegar combine into a rich sweet and sour flavour
Early Harvest Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Single varietal, stone crushed, cold extracted, Extra Virgin Olive Oil made from the first Arbequina olives of the season.
Category 1 Saffron
With good saffron, a little goes a long way. Just a pinch, steeped in a little hot water, gives deep colour and flavour to soups and stews.
Smoked Chilli Jelly
A winner of two Great Taste Stars. It gives cheese boards an edge, or alternatively melt it in a pan to fry a smokey, spicy flavour into seafood. Storage condition: chilled
Extra Virgin Garlic Infused Oil
Drizzle over grilled meat or vegetables... or add deep flavour to grains
Ancient Ligurian varietal with a mellow, creamy taste. Chilled Product
Extremely personable Peruvian table olive, with strong notes of plum. Storage condition: chilled