Socca Pancakes with Mushrooms, Potatoes, Crème Fraiche and Zhoug and Apple Chutney
Prep 20 minutesCooking 30 minutes4 people
A flavour-filled and savoury pancake made from chickpeas. Layered with mushrooms, potatoes and topped with Vegan crème fraîche,
Apple Chutney and Zhoug
- 150g of chickpea flour
- 5g salt
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 300g warm water
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more a little more for frying
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- 3 potatoes
- 250g portobello mushrooms
- 200g oysters, bake till crisp, salt and oil, might need separate trays
- 200g spinach, gently wilted
- 6 tbsp crème fraiche (vegan or regular)
- ½ jar zhoug
- 1 sharp green apple, like granny smith
- ½ lemon
- Preheat your oven to 220C/ 220c fan.
- To make the pancake batter, combine the chickpea flour, salt, 2 tbsp olive oil and warm water and whisk until smooth.Set the batter aside to rest for 30 minutes, whilst you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Wash the potatoes but leave the skin on, cutting them into 2 cm cubes. Place the diced potatoes into a bowl and season with salt, pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil and spread on a baking tray.
- Thickly slice the portobello mushrooms. If the oyster mushrooms are particularly large, cut them into small strips, otherwise leave them whole. Add mushrooms to a bowl and season with salt, pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil then spread in a single layer on a shallow baking tray. Place both trays in the oven and roast for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms have begun to crisp around the edges and until the potatoes are golden in colour and soft in the middle.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking, coarsely grate an apple. Place in a bowl and add the zhoug, 2 tbsp olive oil, a good squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of salt and stir to combine.
- Place a frying pan on high heat and when hot, add a little olive oil to cover. Add a quarter of the batter and swirl the pan to spread the batter aroun. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until it bubbles and takes on colour, then flip with a spatula and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn the heat down if the pancakes begin to colour too quickly.
- Keep on a plate in a low oven to keep warm whilst you cook the rest.. Quickly wilt the spinach with a little oil in the frying pan and season with a little salt.
- To serve, divide the pancakes between plates, top with spinach and then a mix of potatoes and mushrooms. Add a spoonful of vegan crème fraiche on top, followed by a generous drizzle of the zhoug chutney.