Zhoug and Spinach Pancakes with Crispy Bacon and Lime Butter
Impress your brunch guests with these zesty green pancakes! The Zhoug and lime butter add a complex note to an otherwise basic brunch dish, pair with bacon and a runny egg for the whole experience or keep it simple with the pancakes. Prepare mix and butter ahead of time to reduce time spent in the kitchen in the morning.
For the lime butter:
- 100g unsalted butter, room temperature
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of flaky salt
For the Zhoug and spinach pancakes:
- 200g spinach
- 300ml whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp Zhoug
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of cracked black pepper
- 250g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g smoked streaky bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C fan.
- Make the lime butter by mixing the soft butter, zest, juice and flaky salt. Put into a ramekin and place in the fridge to set.
- Place a medium pot with water on to heat. Once boiling, add salt and blanche the spinach until wilted, drain and allow to cool slightly.
- Squeeze the water out of the spinach, then add to a blender and blitz until a paste forms. Add the milk, eggs, Zhoug, salt and pepper and blend to mix.
- Pour the Zhoug and spinach mix into a large bowl, then add the self-raising flour and baking powder. Stir gently with a spatula to mix but be mindful not to overdo it. If some lumps are still visible, then your mix is ready. Place in the fridge to rest.
- Place your bacon on a lined tray, and place in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until crisp. Remove from the oven and place on kitchen paper, whilst you cook your pancakes.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan onto a medium heat. Add ½ tbsp of olive oil and allow to heat.
- Drop heaped tablespoons of the pancake mix onto the hot pan. After 2-3 minutes and when bubbles start to form on the surface they are ready to flip. Cook for another minute or so. Remove from the pan and keep warm under a tea towel.
- Cook all the remaining pancake mix in batches in the hot pan, adding olive oil to heat before dropping the mix.
- Serve the pancakes with the crispy bacon and lime butter.