Yule Log with Tahini Cream
We are certain yule love this yule log! A classic recipe that is rich but not overly sweet with a creamy smooth Tahini filling. The trick is to roll the cake whilst it is still warm as this makes it easier.
6 Eggs, separated
150g Soft Brown Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Mixed Spice
½ tsp Ground Cardamom
For theTahini Cream:
200ml Double Cream
160g Cream Cheese
2 ½ tbsp Honey
For the Icing:
150ml Double Cream
65g Dark Chocolate, broken into small pieces
65g Milk Chocolate, broken into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a rectangular, shallow baking tray (approx. 30x20cm). Place the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk or stand mixer, for 2-3 mins. Add the sugar and continue to whisk for another 2-3 mins or until the mixture has thickened and increased in size.
- Sieve the cocoa powder and spices and then whisk into the yolk mix. In a separate clean bowl, whisk the eggs whites to soft peak stage. Use a large spatula to fold in the egg whites one third at a time to the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour this into the tin and spread out evenly and bake for 30 minutes. Get a cooling rack ready with a piece of greaseproof paper on.
- Whilst the roll is cooking, put the Tahini, cream cheese, double cream and honey in a bowl and gently mix together with a spatula until it thickens and is the consistency of whipped double cream. Take care not to over whip.
- For the icing, put the cream in a small pan and gently heat until it is almost simmering. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Leave to stand for a minute and then mix well until combined. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- After 30 mins take the swiss roll out, run your knife around the edge of the tin to loosen the sides. Place the pre-cut piece of grease proof paper on top of the swiss roll and carefully turn out onto the cooling rack. Remove the piece of greaseproof paper that the swiss roll was baked on, before carefully starting to roll the swiss roll up. This needs to be done as close to taking out the oven as possible.
- Whilst still warm unroll the sponge, remove the greaseproof paper and spread the Tahini cream on the inside of the roll with a pallet knife in an even layer. Then roll back up and place on the serving plate. Once cool, spread the chocolate icing over the top of the log and serve.