Vegetable, Chickpea and Prawn Traybake
The vegetables used in this recipe can be substituted for whatever you have in your fridge, or what you can find in the shops. While the prawns are a lovely addition, you can leave them out and still have a tasty and nutritious meal packed full of flavour from the Tagine Paste.
½ butternut squash
½ pointed white cabbage/hispi cabbage
1 white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tin chickpeas, drained
300g large raw, frozen, shell-off prawns
4tbsp Tagine Paste
2 oranges, juiced
2tbsp rice wine or white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Set the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas Mark 6. Remove the stalk from the butternut squash and cut into 2 parts, separating the longer neck part and the rounded base. You will not need it all for this recipe, so depending on the size of the squash, use the bigger half. If using the neck, cut in half length ways, then cut into 1cm thick half-moons. If using the base, cut in half, scrape out the seeds and then cut into 1cm slices.
- Remove the stalk of the aubergine, cut into half lengthways and cut into half-moons, 1 cm thick. Cut the cabbage into thin wedges, cutting through the inner stalk and the leaves.
- Combine all of the vegetables with the onion and chickpeas in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, add 2tbsp Olive Oil and toss well to combine. Spread on a large baking tray and place in the oven. Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until everything is nicely coloured. If it looks like it is getting too dark, then turn the heat down – all ovens vary so check them as they cook.
- Whilst the vegetables are in the oven, defrost the prawns by pouring boiling water over them. Place in a small bowl, season with salt, add 1tbsp of Tagine paste and mix to coat well.
- Make up the dressing by combining the remaining Tagine Paste, orange juice, vinegar and Olive Oil in small bowl. Stir well to combine, season with a little salt, then taste and add more salt if desired. If it looks a little thick, add a splash of water. You are aiming for something that is loose enough to drizzle over the vegetables.
- When the vegetables have 8 minutes remaining, remove the tray from the oven and scatter the prawns on top, then return to the oven for the remaining cooking time.
- When ready to serve, divide everything fairly or according to appetites, then drizzle the dressing on top.