Tomato, red onion, Basil Vinegar, parmesan and toasted bread salad
Such a simple salad, but at the peak of tomato season, this cannot be beaten. Don’t be scared to increase the olive oil and vinegar, this will only mean more dressing for the bread to absorb. The basil vinegar does wonders to bring out the natural sweetness of the tomatoes.
- Preheat your oven to 160C fan. Tear up the bread into large chunks and toss in a bowl with the olive oil and salt and lay in a single layer onto a baking sheet and bake for around 10 minutes. The bread should still be slightly soft in the center.
- Place the sliced red onions in a small bowl and add a pinch of salt and 2 tbsp Basil Vinegar. Mix and set aside whilst you prepare your tomatoes.
- Chop the tomatoes into all sorts of different sizes and shapes. Keep them chunky, similar size or bigger than the toasted bread. Place into your serving bowl.
- Add the parsley, mint leaves, olive oil, and remaining basil vinegar to the tomatoes, along with the toasted bread.
- Mix well and season to taste.
- Serve with shavings of parmesan using a vegetable peeler.
Included in this Recipe
Early Harvest Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Single varietal, stone crushed, cold extracted, Extra Virgin Olive Oil made from the first Arbequina olives of the season.
Verdemanda Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Arbequina olives of the highest quality are stone ground creating a vivid emerald green oil with a fresh and vibrant grassy flavour.
Sweet white wine vinegar blended with bright, floral basil notes.