Smoked Salmon and Spiced Labneh Tarts with Zahter
250g full fat yogurt
5g fine salt
1 green chilli (deseeded, finely chopped)
3g fenugreek seeds (ground)
3g black onion seeds
1 packet ready rolled, all butter puff pastry
15g unsalted butter (melted)
10g sesame seeds (not in photo)
100g smoked salmon
10g zahter (approx.14 sprigs) placed on paper to soak up excess oil
- Pour the yogurt into a bowl. Stir in salt.
- Line another bowl with a linen, muslin, or a clean all-purpose cloth. Pour the yogurt mixture into the towel. Pick up the edges of the towel and tie at the top. Hang from a tap on the kitchen sink and drain for 16 to 24 hours. (Alternatively, place the yogurt mixture in a (lined) large sieve over a deep bowl. Cover gently with the overhang, or another linen towel. Set aside on the counter, or in the fridge, to drain for 16 – 24 hours)
- Add the chopped chilli and ground fenugreek with the black onion seeds to the labneh and stir together.
- Pre-heat an oven to 180C.
- Line a medium sized baking tray with baking parchment or a silicon mat.
- Roll out the puff pastry and, using a sharp knife, cut 3 or 4 strips 5cm wide. Now cut these strips into 5cm wide squares. Make a light cut inside the squares, 1cm from edge. Transfer to the baking sheet, brush with butter and scatter with sesame seeds. Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes, till they look golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. The pastry will have risen up so it might be necessary to cut some of the pastry out of the centre, in order to create space for the labneh.
- Cut the smoked salmon into bite size pieces, around 4cm strips.
- Before serving, gently warm the pastry cases in the oven. Use a pallet knife or 2 teaspoons, place a spoonful of labneh on the pastry. Drape the salmon over this. Repeat this with all of the tart cases.
- Grate the lemon zest over the tarts and then place a piece of zahter on top.