Smoked Chilli Harissa and Lancashire Cheese Rarebit
Prep 5 minutesCooking 20 minutes4-6 people
1 tbsp Smoked Chilli Harissa
6 tbsp stout
2 tsp plain flour
1.5 tsp Worcestershire sauce, add more to taste
60g unsalted butter
350g Lancashire cheese, grated
3 egg yolks
Salt and pepper
4-6 slices of bread
- In a small pan, combine the harissa, stout, Worcestershire sauce and flour and stir to combine. Place on a low heat, add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add the cheese and continue to stir until melted. You can increase the heat a little but make sure it doesn’t boil, as the mix will turn grainy.
- Once smooth, take off the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes, or until slightly warm.
- Add the egg yolks, one by one, beating to combine between each one. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more harissa or Worcestershire sauce, if you prefer. The mix is ready to use now or can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To finish, heat your grill to medium/high. Toast the bread lightly on both sides. Spread a thick layer onto each slice of toast, making sure to spread the mix right to the edge. Place under the grill and cook till the mix turns golden with dark patches and is bubbling all over.