As this recipe bubbles away, the sauce thickens and reduces, producing a rich, flavourful base for the tagine. The Chermoula adds citrus notes along with a fresh flavour from the herbs.
250g white fish (such as cod, haddock or pollock), cut into large chunks
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 stick of celery, thinly chopped
Pinch of Saffron, crushed
2 Preserved Lemons, flesh removed and finely chopped
6 new potatoes, cut into quarters
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
200g Barley Couscous
- Marinate the fish with 1tbsp of Chermoula and ideally leave for a few hours.
- Place a large sauté pan on a medium heat, when hot add the Olive Oil to the pan followed by the onion, pepper, carrot and celery. Season with salt and pepper, cover with the lid and sweat the vegetables for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the Chermoula, Saffron, Lemons, potatoes and tinned and fresh tomatoes to the pan and mix thoroughly. Bring up to a gentle simmer and then cover and cook for an hour, stirring occasionally to make sure it does not stick.
- For the Couscous, place in a bowl and cover with 400ml boiling water and season with salt. Cover and leave to absorb for ten minutes, then fluff up with a fork.
- Check the flavour of the tomato base and add salt and pepper if necessary. Add the fish to the sauce by placing some underneath and some on top. Tuck the mussels in and around the fish. Cover with a lid and cook on a low to med heat for 5-10 minutes. All the mussels should have opened (discard any that have not) and the fish should be firm to the touch.
- Serve with the couscous and garnish with fresh coriander if desired.
Included in this Recipe
Fresh coriander and hand-picked parsley, blended with other traditional Mediterranean ingredients, including our Beldi preserved lemons, for a warm, intense flavour with a hint of citrus.
Early Harvest Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Single varietal, stone crushed, cold extracted, Extra Virgin Olive Oil made from the first Arbequina olives of the season.
Our nutty high fibre couscous that has been awarded a Great Taste star in 2012.