Roast Potatoes with Traditional Genovese Pesto
The real stars of a roast dinner, roast potatoes should be soft and fluffy on the inside with a crispy outside. We topped ours with Traditional Genovese Pesto for added flavour. The satisfying crunch when you bite into one is enriched with the fresh basil flavour of the pesto.
- Preheat the oven to 200C fan/220C non-fan
- Wash and thinly peel the potatoes. Cut into halves, or quarters if very large. Rinse under cold water then place in a large saucepan and just cover with water. Add the garlic and a good amount of salt, place on a high heat and bring up to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes then drain thoroughly in a colander. Leave to steam dry in the colander or spread out onto a try to cool faster. When cooled, place back in the pan and with a lid on, shake around until the outsides are roughed up.
- Pour the olive oil into a roasting tray large enough to hold the potatoes in one layer. Place the tray in the oven for 10 minutes to preheat the oil.
- Add the potatoes and cooked garlic cloves to the pan and coat them in the hot oil. Place the tray back in the oven on a high shelf, for about an hour, turning the potatoes halfway through, until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy all over. Keep hot until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, either drizzle a little pesto on top of all the potatoes, or place in a bowl and quickly toss with the pesto, before serving straight away.