Roast lamb stuffed with Rose Harissa, Dates and Pistachio Sauce
Pistachio sauce is popular relish in Morocco (it’s boldly nutty, with the consistency of pesto). It makes a wonderfully inventive accompaniment to roasted lamb, especially a leg of lamb with parsley and Rose Harissa stuffing. There’ll be smiles all around the dinner table. Guaranteed.
Whilst often served with quail, our pungent version is served with roast lamb to compliment a hot, sweet Harissa and date stuffing perfectly.
Sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
50g flat-leaf parsley leaves and tender stems, half very finely chopped
100g pitted dates
2 lemons, zest of both and 6-8 tbsp of juice
4tsp Rose Harissa
800g lamb leg, boneless and at room temperature
100g pistachio kernels, very finely chopped in the food processor
Serving suggestion: Barley Couscous
- Preheat oven and a medium roasting dish to 220°C.
- To make the stuffing place the unchopped parsley in a food processor with the dates and blitz well, stir in the lemon zest and the Rose Harissa paste.
- Open the lamb and spread with the stuffing, re‐roll the lamb and secure with string in several places along the length.
- Wipe the outside of the lamb clean with kitchen paper and coat with 1tsp of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place in the oven for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 180°C for 20 minutes, transfer to a warm plate
- to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile for the pistachio sauce aim for a pesto texture; in a large bowl combine the pistachio nuts, 6 tbsp lemon juice, ½ tsp salt, 4 tbsp olive oil and 40ml of cold water (or enough to loosen) mix well, adjust seasoning to taste.
- While the lamb is resting deglaze the roasting dish with water to gather juices, add any juice from the rested lamb.
- Carve and serve slices with the pistachio sauce and couscous, or you preferred grain.
Included in this Recipe
Spicy, sultry Rose Harissa is one of our best sellers, famous in restaurant and domestic kitchens all over the UK.
Our nutty high fibre couscous that has been awarded a Great Taste star in 2012.
Cornicabra Extra Virgin Olive Oil 500ml
Spanish single varietal extra virgin olive oil made from olives grown in Andalucia, this oil is perfect for cooking and for making dressings.