Roast Carrots with Tahini and Coconut Crème Fraiche and Spiced Lentils
- 200g dried puy or brown lentils
- 9tbsp Crete Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 small onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- ½ small bunch (15g) each of flat leaf parsley and coriander (can substitute other herbs), roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 12 medium carrots
- 200g Coconut Collaborative Crème Fraiche
- 35g Tahini
- 1 lemon
- ½ small bunch (15g) fresh mint, stalks removed, roughly chopped
- 1tsp black onion seeds or toasted sesame seeds
- Rinse the lentils under cold water and allow to drain. Place a medium pan on a medium heat, add 4 tbsp olive oil and when hot, add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until soft and sweet, around 10 minutes, turning the heat down if they begin to darken too much.
- Add the cumin, paprika and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, then add the lentils and cover with 600ml water. Season with a little salt and bring up to the boil, then cover with a lid and turn the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. You want the lentils to be cooked but still slightly firm in the centre. If they are still tough continue to cook, adding more water if needed. Season the lentils with salt and pepper to taste and add 4 tbsp olive oil, then put the lid back on and leave to sit for 5 minutes or until ready to eat.
- Whilst the lentils are cooking, heat your oven to 220C fan / 240C nonfan. Wash the carrots and scrub off any dirt, but you don’t need to peel them. Keep the carrots whole or if very large, split in half lengthways, then place in a bowl, add 1 tbsp olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place on a baking tray and roast in the hot oven for 20-25 minutes, until coloured and caramelised all over and soft in the middle.
- In a small bowl, mix the tahini and crème fraiche. Juice half the lemon and add, along with a splash of water and salt and pepper. Taste and add more lemon juice if necessary and if it still looks a little thick, another splash of water.
- When ready to serve, add the chopped parsley and coriander to the lentils and stir through to wilt. Place lentils in the centre of a plate, rest carrots on top, then spoon some of the tahini crème fraiche on top of this. Finish with chopped fresh mint and a sprinkle of black onion or sesame seeds.
Included in this Recipe
Skilfully roasted to release a rich, nutty, balanced flavour, our Tahini is then slowly double ground to create a creamy texture and a glossy finish.
Crete Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Crete Gold 5L
Smoked Paprika - Sweet
Sweet Spanish Nora peppers are smoked over Extremadura holly oak
Balsamic Sun-Dried Tomato Paste
Paste made with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Balsamic Vinegar of Modena IGP