Rhubarb, Pear and Tahini Crumble
A perfect crumble for Mother’s Day! Impress mum by baking this crumble with fresh fruit and in-season sweet and tangy rhubarb. Trying it out any other time of the year? Swap in your favourite in-season fruits for a fresh, nutty crumble.
For the tahini crumble:
- 170g unsalted butter
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 150g tahini
- 225g plain flour
- 75g toasted sesame seeds
- 350g golden caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
For the fruit mix:
- 350g pears, cored, chopped into large chunks
- 650g rhubarb, cut into 2cm chunks
- 120g golden caster sugar
- 1.5 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 200C fan. Butter a 30cm round casserole dish or any equivalent ovenproof dish.
- Place the butter, cinnamon, and lemon zest in a small pan on a low heat until the butter is just melted. Take off the heat and whisk in the tahini.
- In a separate bowl, measure out the flour, sesame seeds, caster sugar and salt. Add the butter/tahini mix and stir until the mix comes together. It will look like a big clump, don’t worry! Place in the fridge whilst you make the fruit mix.
- Mix the chopped pears, rhubarb, sugar, flour, ginger, cinnamon, orange zest and juice into the buttered casserole dish, mix to combine and distribute evenly through the dish.
- Take handfuls of the crumble mix, press them in your hand to form tight ‘balls’ and then place all over the fruit mix. Make sure to have a mixture of small and large clumps evenly distributed all over the fruit, along with any sandy bits.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 200C. Serve warm with thick custard or vanilla ice cream.