The sharp, sweetness of rhubarb is matched with the Balsamic Pearls that are scattered over the galette to create a lovely flavour combination and a striking colour contrast.
100g cold, salted butter
250g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1 large egg
60g butter, softened
70g caster sugar
1 large egg
1tsp vanilla extract
10g plain flour
70g ground almonds
2tsp Balsamic Pearls
- In a food processor, whizz the cold butter and flour together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the caster sugar and blend until combined. Then, add the egg and blend until a dough is formed. Scrape out from the food processor, bring the mixture together into a ball, and roll out into a circle (sometime it is easiest to do this between two pieces of baking paper) until it is approximately the same thickness as a pound coin. Place into the fridge to chill for an hour.
- While the dough is chilling, make the frangipane. Using an electric whisk, combine the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until the mixture is pale and fluffy. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg and vanilla. Gradually add the egg mixture to the butter and sugar, whisking lightly all the time, ensuring that the egg mix is full incorporated each time before adding more. Once all the egg has been added, fold in the flour and almonds until fully dispersed.
- Heat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Slice the rhubarb into 4mm pieces, organising by shade of pink, or if you prefer, cut them into 1inch pieces on an angle and more a geometric design.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Remove the pastry from the fridge and transfer onto a baking tray. Evenly spread the frangipane onto the dough, leaving about an 1inch boarder. Place the rhubarb pieces onto the frangipane – this can be fiddly, but the frangipane will help the rhubarb stick.
- Once the rhubarb is on the galette, fold in the inch of spare pastry towards the centre covering some of the rhubarb but not all of it. You may need to create small folds in the pastry to make it fit.
- Lightly brush the pastry with butter and bake for 35 mins or until golden, leave to rest for 10 minutes before gently sliding off the baking paper onto a cutting board to serve. Top with the Balsamic Pearls, slice into wedges and serve.