Piadina Wraps Two Ways
Wraps are a tasty way to cocoon a variety of fillings, the Piadina variety are a street food heralding from Emilia Romagna. We used Crosta Mollica’s Paidina wraps and filled them with a combination of fillings that work really well as a quick lunch. Lightly breaded chicken is paired with smokey Aubergine and Parmesan Pesto along with creamy mozzarella. For a vegetable based wrap we used fried aubergines and potatoes with a warming heat coming from the Chilli and Basil Pesto.
For the Aubergine & Parmesan Pesto, Chicken and Mozzarella wraps:
2 Small chicken breasts (or buy 2 chicken breasts that have already been breaded)
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp Plain flour
50g Panko breadcrumbs
For the Chilli & Basil Pesto, Aubergine, Potato and Tahini wraps:
1 Large potato
3tbsp Chilli and Basil Pesto
- For the Aubergine & Parmesan Pesto, Chicken and Mozzarella wraps:
- Heat your oven to 180C. Place the chicken breasts on to a chopping board and use a rolling pin or small pan to flatten the thicker part so you they are even in thickness. Season well with salt and pepper on both sides
- Break the egg into a bowl and beat well, then add the milk and mix to combine. Place the flour in another bowl. Place the breadcrumbs in another bowl or on a plate. Dip the chicken in the flour so that its completely coated then shake off any excess. Then dip in the egg and milk mixture so that its coated then allow any excess to drain off. Finally dip into the breadcrumbs to coat, covering the chicken and pressing the breadcrumbs into the chicken.
- Place a frying pan on a medium to high heat and when hot, add the olive oil then lay the chicken into the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and starting to crisp, turning down the heat if it starts to look too dark. Whilst the chicken is cooking, drain the mozzarella and cut into thick slices and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a baking tray, cook in the oven for 5 minutes. If you want, you can lay the mozzarella on top of the chicken so it melts in the oven.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and allow to rest of a few minutes. Warm the piadinas in the oven for a minute then lay on plates and put half of the pesto in a line along the middle of the base. Cut the chicken into thick slices and lay on top of the pesto then top with the mozzarella if you did not melt it on, the remaining pesto, grated parmesan and fold the piadinas over.
- For the Chilli & Basil Pesto, Aubergine, Potato and Tahini wraps:
- Wash the potato to remove and dirt then dice into roughly 2cm pieces. Place in a small saucepan, cover with water and season with a few pinches of salt. Place on a high heat, bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and soft in the middle, but before they fall apart. Drain into a sieve or colander and allow to steam dry.
- Cut the stalk from the aubergine then slice into rounds around 1 cm thick then sprinkle with salt. Place a frying pan on a medium to high heat and then when hot, add the oil and allow to heat up for 20 seconds, then add the aubergine. Keep the heat up so that the aubergine fries quickly but without burning. Once golden, turn the slices over and cook the other side, this should take about 4 minutes. You might need to add a little more oil as aubergines are like a sponge, but the oil will leach out again once cooked. Once cooked, remove with a fish slice onto a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Add the cooked diced potato to the pan and cook in the residual oil for around 4 minutes on a medium to high heat, or until the outer edges are beginning to crisp and colour. When ready, turn the heat off and leave the potatoes in the pan to keep warm.
- Make the tahini dressing by combining the tahini and water in a small bowl or cup and stir until it forms a smooth creamy paste. Add a little more water if it looks too thick, you want it the consistency of double cream.
- To assemble the wraps, spread half on the base of each wrap with Chilli and Basil Pesto then top with pieces of aubergine and potato. Spoon the rest of the pesto on top, then drizzle with tahini dressing then top with pickled red onions if using.
Included in this Recipe
Early Harvest Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Single varietal, stone crushed, cold extracted, Extra Virgin Olive Oil made from the first Arbequina olives of the season.
Aubergine and Parmesan Pesto
Smokey Mediterranean aubergines with tomato, Parmigiano Reggiano PDO and basil
Skilfully roasted to release a rich, nutty, balanced flavour, our Tahini is then slowly double ground to create a creamy texture and a glossy finish.
Chilli and Basil Pesto
Italian basil blended with crushed chillies and peppercorns. Adds huge amounts of flavour with just one dollop.