Pear, Chicory and Blue Cheese Salad with Walnuts & a Honey & Truffle Oil Dressing
Chicory (also known as endive) is just coming in to the British season and this recipe with blue cheese and pear is a winning combination. We’ve added Black Truffle Oil for an opulent twist to your winter salad.
For the dressing:
15ml runny honey
Pinch of salt
For the salad:
3 pears (cored and quartered)
2 chicory heads (a mix of red and white)
Pepe Extra Virgin Olive Oil or butter for frying
100g toasted walnuts
2 sprigs flat leaf parsley
200g blue cheese
Salt and pepper
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Cut the chicory heads in half and season with salt. Place a frying pan on a medium to high temperature and add a small amount of oil or butter to the pan. Arrange the chicory cut-side down in the pan to caramalise without cooking too much. Once the chicory is golden in colour remove from the pan.
- Slice the pears lengthways into long pieces but, don’t worry if they’re different sizes, it will add contrast to the dish. Place in a large bowl that’s big enough to mix everything together.
- Separate the chicory leaves from the core. Roughly chop the larger leaves and keep the smaller ones whole. To reduce waste, finely chop the cores too, although they can be a little more bitter. Add the chicory to the bowl and roughly tear the parsley leaves in. Add the dressing and a few pinches of salt and ground black pepper. Gently toss the ingredients together.
- Divide the mixture between four plates, evenly spreading the pears and chicory between portions. Crumble the blue cheese over the top and then break up the walnuts and scatter over the top.
Included in this Recipe
Black Truffle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
A little drizzle as you mash potato gives your roast dinners an indulgent edge
Cabernet Sauvignon Vinegar
Crisp dry wine vinegar - try it in a shallot vinaigrette to serve with seafood
Pepe® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
A suffusion of Arbequina oils from Lleida, Catalonia