Moroccan chicken legs with Black Olive Tapenade and Preserved Lemons
Black Olive Tapenade is put to an alternative use in this easy but flavourful Moroccan chicken dish, being used instead of black olives, without the hassle of pitting them. Everything is cooked in one pot, which creates a rich, fragrant sauce that is then sharpened by both combination of the apenade and the Beldi Preserved Lemons.
4 chicken legs, excess fat removed
1 clove garlic peeled
2 tsp black onion seeds
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp Early Harvest olive oil
1tsp ground ginger
1 onion, peeled and sliced
½ tsp ground black pepper
225g new potatoes, quartered
2 tomatoes, diced
30g fresh coriander (a small bunch) roughly chopped
1 Beldi preserved lemon, cut in half, seeds removed, thinly sliced
2 tbsp Black Olive Tapenade
- Crush the garlic with the salt and black onion seeds to a paste, then mix with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Rub this mixture all over and under the skin of the chicken and if possible, leave to marinate for an hour in a fridge.
- Place a large, heavy bottomed frying pan on a medium to high heat and when hot, add the remaining olive oil. Place the chicken legs in, skin side down and brown for around 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown, then turn over and repeat on the other side for 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken legs from the pan to a plate and set aside. Turn the heat down a little. then add the onions to the pan and stir to coat in the oil, scraping off any caramelised pieces from the base. Cook for 5 minutes then then add the ginger, black pepper, saffron, 200ml water and bring to the boil. Put the chicken legs, along with any collected juices, back in the pan and cover with a lid. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid then add the potatoes, tomatoes and half the coriander. Stir everything together, making sure to tuck the potatoes under the chicken. Replace the lid and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the juice of half a lemon and stir. Taste and add more lemon if desired along with salt if you think it needs it.
- To serve, place the chicken legs on a large plate along with plenty of the sauce. Finish by garnishing with small spoonful’s of the Black Olive Tapenade dotted all over, Beldi Preserved Lemon and the remaining coriander.