This recipe is a great way to use up any half-full jars you have. We used Aubergine Mezze and Balsamic Tomatoes, but you can substitute other Mezze Pastes, Tapenades or Harissas if you want a kick! The varieties of cheese can also be swapped, but we do recommend keeping the whipped feta as it complements the rest of the Mediterranean toppings.
1 packet of white or seeded wraps
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1/3 cucumber, diced
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
200g feta, crumbled
1 tin of flageolet/cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 jar Aubergine Mezze
300g cheddar or red Leicester cheese, coarsely grated
12 Guindillas/pickled chillies
Handful of fresh mint, chopped
- Heat oven to 150C/Fan 130C/Gas Mark 2. Brush the wraps on both sides with some of the oil from the Balsamic Tomatoes, then place on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes in the oven until they are crisp. When cool, break the wraps into smaller pieces, about the size of a tortilla chip.
- Meanwhile, drain and reserve the oil from the Balsamic Tomatoes, roughly chop the Tomatoes then place in a bowl with the spring onions, cucumber and garlic. Add some of the oil to the salsa to loosen it.
- Put the feta, a little oil from the Balsamic Tomatoes and 1tbsp water into a food processor. Blitz until smooth, light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed. Place aside until needed.
- Place the beans in a bowl and crush with a fork until they have a creamy consistency. Add the Aubergine Mezze and mix well to combine.
- When ready to assemble, set the oven to 170C/Fan 150C/Gas Mark 3 and line a baking tray with a piece of baking paper. Place a layer of chips on the tray and spoon 1/3 of the bean and aubergine mix over, then sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat and build up 3-4 layers. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and while hot, spoon over the tomato salsa, feta and sprinkle the Olives, Guindillas and mint then serve immediately.
Included in this Recipe
Balsamic Semi-Dried Tomatoes
These sweet Balsamic Semi-Dried Tomatoes are ideal for sharing platters and canapes. They are full of flavour and a colourful addition to any dish.
Whole Green Guindilla Chilli Peppers
Spanish, long green chillies harvested early and pickled in white grape vinegar. Storage condition: chilled