Date Molasses Steamed Pudding
With a hint of fragrant cardamom running through the sponge and a layer of sticky, sweet Date Molasses, this recipe is a comforting option for an autumnal dessert. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and an extra drizzle of Date Molasses.
90g Date Molasses
150g Softened butter, plus extra to grease
150g Soft light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
2 Eggs, beaten
100g Self-raising flour
3tbsp Whole Milk
50g Pistachios (Roasted), ground to resemble breadcrumbs
3 Cardamom pods, ground
30g Golden syrup
- After roasting the pistachios, either finely chop them, or grind in a food processor untilthey resemble breadcrumbs.
- Butter a medium sized glass bowl and spoon the Date Molasses into the bottom. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Whisk the butter and sugar together until fluffy, and then gradually whisk in the eggs, pistachios and golden syrup until well mixed in. Fold in the flour, followed by the milk to give a smooth dropping consistency, and spoon into the bowl, stopping just short of the top to give it room to rise.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or secure layers of grease-proof paper and foil, and securing with string or elastic band. Trim the excess from the sides.
- Place the bowl of batter into a saucepan and fill the water level to half way up the bowl. The water level should not drop down to less than a quarter way up the pudding basin while cooking. Steam for 2 hours, topping up the water as necessary.