Citrus Rice Pudding with Verdemanda Olive Oil
Spice up your traditional rice pudding with this recipe! The citrus and cinnamon adds something a bit unexpected to the dish, keeping it light and fresh. Risotto rice (arborio or carnaroli) works best to create the pudding as the high starch content of the rice gives the pudding a thick and creamy texture
- 2 tsp Verdemanda olive oil, plus more to drizzle when serving
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- Zest of ½ orange
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 5cm stick cinnamon
- 50g soft light brown sugar
- 900 ml full-cream milk
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ vanilla pod, cut open lengthways and seeds scraped out
- 100g risotto rice
- 1.5 tsp orange blossom water (optional) – add a good squeeze of orange juice instead
- Ground cinnamon, to garnish
- Heat your oven to 140C fan / 160C nonfan. Place a large pan on a medium heat, add 2tsp olive oil, the lemon and orange zest, bay leaf and cinnamon stick and gently cook for 2 minutes to release the flavours. Add the sugar, milk, nutmeg, and vanilla and bring up to the boil, stirring frequently to prevent the milk sticking to the base. Turn the heat off and add the orange blossom water.
- Pour the rice into a deep oven proof dish, around 20cm x 25cm, then cover with milk mixture, making sure to scrape out all the zest and vanilla seeds. Place in a baking tray in the oven and bake for 55 minutes, stirring the skin into the mixture halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Don’t worry if the mix looks a little wet as the rice will continue to absorb the milk. Divide between bowls, lightly dust with ground cinnamon and garnish with a generous drizzle of olive oil
Included in this Recipe
Arborio Risotto Rice
Winner of a Great Taste Star 2018, the Arborio Risotto Rice rice is noted for its ability to absorb flavour and produce a beautiful creamy texture. Storage Condition: Ambient
Carnaroli Risotto Rice
Carnaroli rice has a firmer texture which guarantees an Al Dente bite in your risotto.
Verdemanda Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Arbequina olives of the highest quality are stone ground creating a vivid emerald green oil with a fresh and vibrant grassy flavour.