Chicken wings in Tahini, Zhoug and honey with a Moscatel vinegar salad
Crispy, sticky chicken wings are hard to beat for pure eating pleasure, but the need to deep-fry makes them more of an eating out treat. This recipe uses a simple bit of science to achieve golden crispy skin in the oven, which is then coated in a sauce that is hot, sweet, rich and addictive. The fresh, sharp salad keeps everything in check. Don’t bother with cutlery.
1kg chicken wings, each wing cut into 2 pieces
1tbsp baking powder (preferably aluminium free)
¼ tsp salt
1 small red onion
2 tbsp Moscatel Vinegar
1tsp black onion seeds
2 sprigs of mint, leaves picked and roughly chopped
1 lemon, juiced
- Pre-heat an oven to 125C fan, 135C regular.
- In a large bowl, combine the baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Cut each chicken wings into 2 pieces, by cutting between the flat part and the small drumstick shaped piece. Add these to the bowl and mix till each piece is well coated. Place each piece on top of a wire rack, with a roasting tray underneath. Place in the oven and roast for 35 minutes.
- After the initial stage of cooking, turn up the oven to 210C fan, 220C regular, and cook the wings for another 35 minutes, until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-8 minutes, so that the skin crisps up.
- Whilst the wings are roasting, prepare the salad and Zhoug/Tahini mix. Trim the top of the carrots. Using a peeler, cut the cucumber and carrots into ribbons of different widths. Chop the cores into small pieces, place in a bowl with the ribbons, add the 1/4tsp salt and mix well. Leave for 20 minutes to allow the salt to draw off the water from the cucumbers and carrots. Discard any liquid and pat dry with paper towel. Add the moscatel vinegar, black onion seeds and mint and toss to combine. This can be done in advance but don’t add the mint, as it will turn black.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Zhoug, Tahini, honey, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Stir till all the ingredients have come dispersed evenly. When the wings are crisp and still hot, add them to the bowl and mix well to coat. Serve immediately, with the carrot and cucumber salad on the side.