Chicken Bastilla Pie
Chicken pie, Moroccan style. Ideal for sharing and entertaining, and very easy to prepare – takes just 20 mins. Perfect for weekend lunches, weekday dinners or any time you’ve got friends or family over.
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Chicken layer:
600g chicken thigh fillets, cut in half
100g toasted flaked almonds
25g flatleaf parsley and/or coriander, roughly chopped
For the egg layer:
4 large free range eggs
3 tbsp double cream or whole milk (optional)
Knob of butter (optional)
75 ml Cornicabra Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or 75g butter, melted)
5-6 sheets filo (270g pack)
Optional icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Heat 1 tbsp Cornicabra Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large pan over a medium high heat. Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes on each side until browned on the outside. Stir in the Chermoula Paste and fry 1-2 minutes then add 150ml cold water, stirring to lift any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and simmer over low-medium heat for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through, stirring once or twice and adding a splash of water if needed. When cooked, the water should have mainly evaporated leaving a think coating sauce (cook with lid off for a minute or two if necessary). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Shred the chicken with two forks then stir in the almonds and herbs.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the cream or milk and some salt and black pepper. Heat a drizzle of olive oil or knob of butter in a frying pan over a low-medium heat, add the eggs and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring once or twice gently, until just set.
- To assemble, lightly grease a round 23cm springform or loose-bottomed cake tin with olive oil. Brush a sheet of filo generously with olive oil or melted butter and lay inside the tin, oiled side up, letting excess hang over the edges. Repeat with a further 4-5 sheets of filo, laying each one across the previous one at an angle so the whole tin is lined (you can be quite rough).
- Spoon in half the chicken, top with the egg and the remaining chicken. Fold in the excess filo pastry to cover the pie. Brush the remaining sheet or two of pastry with oil or butter and scrunch up on top of the pie to completely cover. Brush with any remaining butter or oil.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 30 minutes until crisp and golden-brown and piping hot. Remove from tin. For an authentic finish, dust with icing sugar. Cut into wedges and serve.
Included in this Recipe
Cornicabra Extra Virgin Olive Oil 500ml
Spanish single varietal extra virgin olive oil made from olives grown in Andalucia, this oil is perfect for cooking and for making dressings.
Fresh coriander and hand-picked parsley, blended with other traditional Mediterranean ingredients, including our Beldi preserved lemons, for a warm, intense flavour with a hint of citrus.