Broccoli, Smoked Chilli Harissa Potatoes and Crab Salad
Crispy roasted new potatoes bring a gentle heat from Smoked Chilli Harissa that pairs well with crab. Gentle citrus notes of Beldi Preserved Lemons lift the dish, along with the slight nutty and peppery flavour of purple sprouting broccoli. This dish is fairly simple to make, but all the elements combine to create a satisfying plate of food, with some unexpected flavours that work brilliantly together.
800g new potatoes
salt and pepper
1½ tbsp Smoked Chilli Harissa
8 salad onions or thick spring onions
160g cooked white crab
120g crème fraiche
a small bunch of flat leaf parsley, about 20g, leaves finely chopped
400g purple sprouting broccoli
- Place the potatoes in a medium pan, cover with water, season with salt and bring up to the boil. Simmer for around 10 minutes or until soft in the middle. Drain and allow to cool.
- Heat your oven to 180C fan/200C nonfan. When the potatoes have cooled enough to handle, lightly crush under a cloth to crack and flatten them, but without completely falling apart. Place in a snug fitting baking tray or dish. Season with salt and pepper. Mix the Smoked Chilli Harissa with 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and drizzle over the potatoes. Give the pan a shake so the oil gets underneath them then place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove and turn the potatoes over and roast for a further 5 minutes, so that the edges have begun to crisp.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, place a frying pan on a high heat and when hot, lay the salad onions onto it, season with salt and place another pan on top to weigh down. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until dark and blackened. Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 5 minutes, or until soft in the thickest part. Remove and when cool enough to handle, peel the burnt outer layer off (it’s nice to have a few burnt bits), then cut into 2-inch pieces. Place in a bowl and dress with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, taste and season with salt and pepper as you see fit.
- To make the crab dressing, place the crab in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, add the juice of half a lemon and stir to combine. Now add the crème fraiche, mayonnaise and chopped parsley, stir to mix evenly then taste again and season with more salt if necessary. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- When ready to serve, place a medium pan of well salted water on a high heat in preparation for blanching the broccoli. Use a peeler to trim the stalks of the broccoli. Cut the preserved lemons into quarters and remove the flesh, then slice into thin strips. Make sure the potatoes and spring onions are warm, then blanch the broccoli for 2 mins. Drain and allow to steam dry, then dress with a squeeze of lemon juice, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and the chopped preserved lemons. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- To serve, place the potatoes on a plate, along with any crispy bits, then top with the spring onions and broccoli. Dollop the crab all over then top with any of the left-over oil from the potato pan.