Börek stuffed with Onion, Spinach, Raisins, Pine Kernels
Börek, or similar regional variations are found across the Mediterranean, Middle East and into Central Asia. They can be stuffed with a variety of fillings, though many will contain spinach. Aubergine Mezze adds a lovely smokiness to the filling with other wonderful textures coming from the raisins and pine kernels. The stuffed filo pastry is rolled into a large circular snail, once cooked it can be sliced into wedges revealing a the layers of filling.
3 red onions, peeled and chop into thin wedges
9 tbsp Early Harvest Olive Oil, plus more to brush the pastry with
Salt and pepper
800g spinach, washed and dried if necessary
1 lemon, zested and ½ juiced
1 small bunch (approx 15g), flat leaf parsley, chopped
50g toasted Pine Kernels
1 jar Roasted Aubergine Mezze
1 packet of filo pastry (ensure it is vegan)
1 tsp black onion seeds
- Place a large pan on a medium to high heat and when hot, add 5 tbsp olive oil and the onions, along with a few pinches of salt. Keep the heat quite high so that the onions sizzle and start to brown at the edges, stirring from time to time. Cook for around 10 minutes, turning the heat down if they are blackening, so that they are sweet but still have some bite to them. Empty the onions into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the spinach to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the spinach has completely wilted, stirring from time to time, then empty into a colander or sieve to allow to drain, pressing with the back of a spoon to remove excess water.
- Once cool, roughly chop the spinach and add to the onions. Add the lemon zest, juice, parsley, raisins, pine nuts and some black pepper and stir to combine. Add in the aubergine mezze and stir through, before tasting and adding more salt if you think it is necessary.
- Heat your oven to 180C fan / 200C nonfan. Unwrap the filo pastry and lay out one sheet with the short edge facing you. Brush lightly with some of the remaining olive oil and lay another sheet of filo on top. Lay another sheet of filo to the side of these but over lapping by about 5 cm then brush with oil and lay another sheet on top. Repeat so that you have 1 big sheet of filo that is 3 sheets wide and a double layer, all brushed with olive oil.
- Spread the filling evenly along the bottom edge of the filo then roll it up till you have one long sausage shaped piece. Brush a round pie dish or baking tray with a little oil.
- Coil the börek into a snail shape, starting from the centre and working outwards, then carefully pick up (support the underside with something flat like a fish slice) and place in the dish or on a baking tray. Drizzle any excess olive oil over the top, scatter with black onion seeds, then place in the oven and roast for 40 minutes, so that the pastry is crispy, golden and flaky on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving.
Included in this Recipe
Early Harvest Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Single varietal, stone crushed, cold extracted, Extra Virgin Olive Oil made from the first Arbequina olives of the season.
Storage Condition: Ambient
Aubergine, garlic and paprika in a subtle paste that works well in a mezze or as a spread