Black Bean, Mushroom and Tagine Paste Burger with Paprika Wedges
Tagine Paste adds a lot of flavour to these black bean and mushroom burgers, which are great when topped with a large spoonful of our Aubergine Mezze, which adds a lovely smokiness. Paired with Paprika wedges, this is a meal sure to have vegans and carnivores alike feeling fully satisfied.
125g shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed and roughly chopped
400g button chestnut Mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tin black beans, drained
3tbsp Tagine Paste
3tbsp dried breadcrumbs
4 burger buns, toasted
4tbsp Aubergine Mezze
Lettuce, to garnish
Onion, to garnish
Beef tomato, to garnish
3 large white potatoes, washed and cut into wedges
½tbsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the quinoa in a small sauce pan and cover with 3 times the amount of water and a pinch of salt. Bring up to the boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until all the water has evaporated, for around 20 minutes then set aside until ready to use.
- Turn the oven on to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas Mark 6. Toss the mushrooms in 2tbsp of Olive Oil, salt and pepper on a baking tray. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15mins, until shrivelled and beginning to crisp.
- Place a frying pan on a medium to high heat and when hot add 3tbsp Olive Oil, the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook the onion in a frying pan until caramelised, around 10 minutes, turning the heat down if needed to avoid it burning.
- Mix the flax seeds with 2½tbsp water, stir well, then set aside so that it forms a liquid with a similar texture to an egg white.
- In a large bowl, crush the black beans with a fork, then add the caramelised onions, mushrooms, quinoa, Tagine Paste, breadcrumbs and flax seed mixture and use your hands or a large spoon to mix until well combined. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Using your hands, shape the burgers into patties and place on a baking sheet. Place the tray in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes or until you are ready to use.
- When ready to cook, heat a frying pan on a medium to high heat, add 1tbsp of Olive Oil and fry for 4-5 mins on either side until crisp and coloured on the outside and hot in the middle. Alternatively, heat an oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4 and bake for 10-12 minutes. Serve in a toasted bun with a spoonful of the Aubergine Mezze, along with lettuce, onion and tomato.
- For the potato wedges, heat an oven to 190C/Fan 170C/Gas Mark 5. Toss the potato wedges in the remaining Olive Oil and Paprika and place on a shallow baking tray or sheet. Cook for 25-30 minutes in the oven or until golden and crispy at the edges.