Belazu Mince Pies
Our resident innovation chef Henry Russell has developed these must have Christmas mince pies using Beldi Preserved Lemons and Pomegranate Molasses!
The lemons have 3 Great Taste stars and are available as part of our Christmas hamper, they have an intense, fragrant flavour that is balanced by our Pomegranate Molasses which was also awarded 3 Great Taste stars this year and listed as a top 50 product for 2017 by the Guild of Fine Foods.
For the pastry
385g plain flour
Pinch of salt
225g unsalted butter
40g ground almonds
100g golden caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 ½tbsp cold water
For the filling
85g dried cranberries
1 small cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
60g butter, cut into cubes
40g brazil nuts
95g light muscovado sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
2 Beldi Preserved Lemons, rind only, chopped
1 orange, finely grated rind and juice
- To make the pastry, sieve the flour into a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt. Add in the butter and rub together until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs, then stir in the ground almonds and sugar.
- Mix in the egg yolks and 2½ tbsp of ice-cold water. Add enough water to bring the mixture together into a firm, but not wet, dough. Shape into a ball, wrap in cling-film and place in the fridge to rest for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 175 fan / gas mark 4.
- For the filling, add all of the ingredients except the alcohol into a large pan. Heat so the butter melts and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooling, grease the tins and roll out half of the pastry on a floured surface until about 3mm thick. Line the tartlet tins with the rolled pastry.
- Stir the sherry into the mixture and fill each pie ¾ full with mincemeat, then roll out the other half of the pastry and cut out circles to make the lids.
- Brush the edges of the cupped pastry with water or milk and press the lids lightly on to the pies to seal. Use a fork to crimp the edge and make a hole in the centre to allow the steam to escape. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a rack and dust with icing sugar.