Asparagus and Purple Sprouting Broccoli with Venus Black Rice Hazelnuts and Wensleydale
Prep 10 minutesCooking 45 minutes4 people
A beautiful summery recipe using charred green vegetables, earthy black rice and sweet and nutty hazelnuts. Perfect for a satisfying mid-week meal or an alfresco dinner.
- Heat your oven to 175C fan / 195C non-fan. Combine the rice and water in a pan with a good pinch of salt, bring up to a boil, turn down to a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain, keep the excess liquid and return the rice to the pan.
- Place the hazelnuts on a tray and roast for 8 minutes, until golden brown. When cool, roughly chop.
- Place a large pan of seasoned water on high heat to bring it up to a boil. Snap the woody ends off the asparagus. Peel the outer layer of the broccoli stalk. Once the water is boiling, blanch the asparagus for 1 minute then refresh in cold water. Repeat with the broccoli, then leave both on a kitchen cloth to absorb any water.
- Peel and thinly slice the spring onions. Mix 3 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt then pour over the spring onions and leave to lightly pickle.
- Make the salad dressing by combining 3 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil and the remainder of the rice liquid. Taste and add a pinch of salt.
- When ready to serve, toss the asparagus and broccoli with 1/2tbsp olive oil. Heat a frying or griddle pan till hot then grill in batches in a dry pan till coloured on the outside. Just before they come out of the pan, add the chopped garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then take out.
- Warm the rice with a little of the dressing, then divide between plates. Toss the veg with remaining dressing, check for seasoning and place on top of rice, with a handful of salad leaves. Finish with toasted hazelnuts, spring onions and crumbled Wensleydale.